Analysing Existing Action Film Names/Titles
Shortly I'm going to be deciding on a name for my film, which I will confirm once I have finished planning my storyline. My instinct is that the names of films hint at the plot of the film but they also frequently indicate genre so that it is clear to the audience the type of film they will be watching. To help me decide on a name I'm going to look at film titles from existing films from my genre, so I can see if there are any patterns that occur that I can use when deciding on mine.
Below is a list of different titles of films from the action genre (or action-related movies):
'Without Remorse'
From these action film titles I have discovered a few patterns that immediately grab the audience's attention and make them want to watch the film, whilst also indicating both the genre and what the plot might entail. These include:
- Most of the titles are short, punchy and powerful therefore they are easy for the audience to remember, often featuring only one or two words, and at the most three ('Oblivion', 'Prey', 'Fast X', 'Dune', 'Taken 3', 'Spectre', 'Hypnotic' and 'Looper'). I will make sure I have no more than three words in my film title.
- Some of the titles include description which creates a sense of mystery and therefore the audience are eager to understand what will happen in the film ('Die Hard', 'Without Remorse', 'Kill Bill' and 'The Equalizer', 'The Beekeeper'). I will hint at my plot in my chosen title, but also leave some mystery to keep the audience guessing.
- Some of the titles also include reference to characters or their names which could indicate to the audience that they are the central character ('John Wick', 'Top Gun: Maverick', 'Baby Driver', 'The Bourne Identity', 'The Beekeeper'). I may use the name of my protagonist in my title, or an alias.
- Some of the titles reference specific locations or objects which indicate to the audience that this object or place will have a significant role in the film ('San Andreas', 'London Has Fallen', 'National Treasure', 'Top Gun: Maverick' and 'Bullet Train').
- Many of the titles hint at the plot ('Taken 3', 'London Has Fallen', 'Extraction') or make reference to weaponry/violence ('Kill Bill', 'Die Hard', 'Bullet Train', 'Without Remorse') or reflect the intensity of the genre ('Bullet Train', 'Fast X').
- Finally, some titles highlight that the film is a sequel therefore it warns the audience that it’s following the franchise's previous storyline or themes ('Fast X', 'Top Gun: Maverick' and 'Taken 3').




























Comments
Post a Comment