Websites Used for Researching and Planning 'When Duty Calls'

Below is a list of websites that I have looked at throughout my research and planning for 'When Duty Calls' - each one contributing to a different aspect of my blog.

BBFC

I used the BBFC website to understand how films were rated and to identify different action film ratings, so when it came to deciding the rating for 'When Duty Calls' I knew what certificate to choose based on those given to existing action films, alongside understanding how the organisation attach ratings to films based on violence, langue and injury detail.

IMP Awards

IMP Awards was a great website which allowed me to download posters from films. The wide selection of films and variations of posters gave me more freedom regarding which films I could analyse throughout my blog and offered lots of visual material to help bring my blog to life.

DaFont

I used Dafont to decide which font would be most appropriate in terms of genre for my title cards in my opening sequence. Due to the wide selection and the fact that the website is free to use, this allowed me to experiment with many different fonts to see which one matched my film the best.

Font Meme

Font Meme was a great website for identifying fonts used in existing films, as it separates films into genre categories. Although I couldn’t download fonts to use and trial out, it allowed me to identify names of fonts from film posters which I liked and which belonged to my chosen genre. Therefore, I could find the font on DaFont or other free font websites, to see if the titles for my opening sequence matched well with the font.

IMDb

I used IMDb throughout my research and planning as it has many different features that were helpful. For example, I could look at names of crew and their bibliography which was helpful for when I had to select crew for my film that had worked in the genre before. I could find out which production companies produced certain films which helped me decide which production companies were most suited for the action genre and its hybrids. I could also find out the genre and BBFC certificate for each film which gave me guidance for when I had to select an appropriate rating for 'When Duty Calls' and identify what genre certain films belonged to when analysing them.

Filmsite

Filmsite.org helped me understand the specific genre conventions of action films. This was especially helpful when I had to look in great detail at the action film genre and identify the specific conventions, for example the narrative structure, the iconography and the character types that were typical of action films. Additionally, it gave me good examples of action films that conveyed all the conventions well and that were worth mentioning in my blog.

Art of the Title

I used Art of the Title to find film title sequences and upload them to my blog when discussing the order of which titles appear and what usually appears within the title cards. This helped me conduct an order of title cards with the names of the most important crew that were part of the production of my film.

Comments

Popular Posts