Finalising Genre - Action-Comedy Hybrid


The more research I have conducted into action films, the more I have noticed that recent films from the genre are often hybrids which combine elements of the action film with other genres. The most common of these hybrids in recent years appears to be the action-comedy hybrid. Before I decide whether to incorporate comedic elements into my action film I will look at two films that can be classified as action-comedies.


I will be analysing the opening sequences of 'Back In Action' and 'True Lies' as both films combine many of the action conventions that I have outlined in my research on genre with elements of comedy to engage and broaden the audience, and to create more relatable and likeable protagonists for the spectator. 


After reflecting on my original idea, I have decided to slightly change my film's overall plot and also some of the elements of my opening sequence. Although my film will still be an action film with many of the conventions spectators would expect to find in the genre, now my protagonist will be portrayed as 'out of shape' and not as capable as he was before when he used to work for the secret service. When he gets called back into service (at the end of the opening sequence) it creates a sense of mystery for the audience as they may not have been expecting this plot element. It also makes the audience root for the protagonist more as he is more ‘normal’ than some action heroes from the genre, so the audience go on a journey with him as he builds back up to being the best agent in the game. Therefore, the film appears to be more entertaining and fulfilling for the audience because of the character's likeability and the emotionally engaging narrative. Adding the element to the plot that he will be ordered to kill his wife, who it transpires is also a secret agent (a plot point I am considering referencing in the opening sequence), should provide further opportunity for comic moments.

The opening sequences from the action-comedy genre I will be looking at are from the following films:

'Back In Action'


'True Lies'

Comments

Popular Posts